Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Error 209, game version issues
TheSidekickOrder.com > T.S.O. Forums > The Guild Hall
dolmen
This might be a bit long... sorry

The flue caught me these past days and I haven't been playing. I decided though to launch and get things updated. That didn't go well. First off, the launcher didn't do an update at all and I had login time outs. Fiddled about some restarting the launcher and it eventually did do the update. But then I started having the 209 error, which states the launcher can't determine a version and that I should do this that and the other thing. Did all that. Did a repair. Launcher worked. Logged on a character and ran around a bit, checked my bank, logged out. 209 error on log out. Fiddle some more and hit the ESO forum for fixes. Spent some time with the delete version files fix etc. Some times that worked some times it did not.

Finally though I found this post on the ESO forum.

http://forums.elderscrollsonline.com/discu...or-error-209/p1

I never did edit the hosts file as the forum directed. What I did is this though since in that thread at some point it was indicated that the launcher polls the 10 different IP addresses mentioned. I left the launcher up and running. It was ready to play, no 209 error. I went off and had coffee, checked out the garden and after awhile I came back. Huh... now the launcher says 209 error... Closed it, restarted it, still a 209 error. Left it up and went off to get more coffee, take some pictures of the garden (see http://shanasomething.wordpress.com/ Shana's blog) for Shana. Came back... huh now it says ready to play...

There is an issue with the DNS out on the interwebs in regards to ESO. Of 10 possible IP connection points, 5 are not working. You have a 50/50 chance to hit a working one each time you use the launcher. Over time the launcher will poll them and chose another, 50/50 chance it picks a working one. Not sure ZOS can even "fix" this.

So if you are getting the 209 error, keep trying, until you get the game patched. After that, start the launcher and if you don't get a 209 error, move on. If you do, go find something else to do and check back on occasion.
SirAndy
QUOTE( @ Apr 16 2014, 09:32 AM) *
Not sure ZOS can even "fix" this.

Sure they can, i've used rotating DNS pools many times.

If 5 out of 10 don't work, simply try all 10 and see if you can find one that is working.
Don't stop and throw an error if the one you're looking for doesn't work, instead move to the next.
Only throw an error if all 10 aren't working!

The whole idea of having a pool is that you can move on if one (or more) are busy/unavailable.
What good does a pool do you if you don't move to the next in case of an error?
poke.gif
dolmen
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 16 2014, 11:56 AM) *

QUOTE( @ Apr 16 2014, 09:32 AM) *
Not sure ZOS can even "fix" this.

Sure they can, i've used rotating DNS pools many times.

If 5 out of 10 don't work, simply try all 10 and see if you can find one that is working.
Don't stop and throw an error if the one you're looking for doesn't work, instead move to the next.
Only throw an error if all 10 aren't working!

The whole idea of having a pool is that you can move on if one (or more) are busy/unavailable.
What good does a pool do you if you don't move to the next in case of an error?
poke.gif

Oh yeah...

Ouch! Ouch! Ouch! MOM! Andy is poking me!
SirAndy
QUOTE(dolmen @ Apr 16 2014, 10:44 AM) *
QUOTE( @ Apr 16 2014, 11:56 AM) *
poke.gif

No no, i was poking ZOS!

grouphug.gif

dolmen
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 16 2014, 01:08 PM) *

QUOTE( @ Apr 16 2014, 10:44 AM) *
QUOTE( @ Apr 16 2014, 11:56 AM) *
poke.gif

No no, i was poking ZOS!

grouphug.gif

MOM! Andy is making out with ZOS again!

OT: I'm glad to see that a good back yard fire and a bottle of drink is regarded as a valid pastime by you. One of my favorites.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.